Monday, April 07, 2008

Almost One Year

Yes, it's been nearly a year since my last blog. So what? I've been busy. During the past year, my life has changed quite a bit. I earned a full-time teaching position, I traveled to Europe with my wife, I bought a house, and I learned that I'm going to be a father.

I expected nothing less.

But, really, that's a pretty ridiculous year. But you don't want to hear about that. Actually, I don't know what you want to hear. So, I'll tell you what I think you want to hear, or at least tell you something relatively interesting -- subjectively speaking.

I recently watched Sicko, Michael Moore's latest. I find that he has finally irritated me. It was a bit too biased, a bit too dramatic. Perhaps I'm growing crusty, but I think he's just not addressing the entire argument effectively. Yes, the health care system is jacked up, but a move to universal health care doesn't seem plausible. Is that too much governmental oversight?

Which automatically leads me to another line of thinking: although I lean left, I don't necessarily believe that more government programs equals a better society. I like well-defined, accountable government programs as much as I dislike a completely hands-off, fend-for-yourself-or-die philosophy. There must be a healthy, effective medium.

OK, I just wrote about politics. Scary. I'm going to shut up for the moment. I like to maintain myself as a political enigma, so I shouldn't say too much. And that's all I have right now.

No comments: